Most people in Missouri would agree that a new roof is a big investment. But when is the right time to make that investment? And how do you know whether your roof needs replaced or just repaired?
There are a number of factors that go into deciding whether it’s time for a new roof, from the age of the roof to the weather conditions in your area. Generally, it is recommended that a new roof be installed every 20 years, but this figure can vary depending on the type of roof, the materials used and other factors.
What to consider when deciding whether to replace your roof
When making the decision to replace your roof, there are a few things you’ll want to take into account. Here are some of the most important factors:
- The age of your roof – Most roofs last around 20 years, so if your roof is older than that, it may be time for a replacement.
- The condition of your roof – If your roof is showing signs of wear and tear, or if there are leaks or other problems, it’s likely time for a new one.
- Your budget – Replacing a roof can be expensive, so make sure you have enough money saved up to cover the cost.
- Your climate – If you live in an area with severe weather conditions, your roof may need to be replaced more often than someone who lives in a milder climate.
- The type of roofing material – Some materials last longer than others, so you’ll want to take that into account when making your decision.
If you’re unsure whether or not it’s time for a new roof, consult with a professional contractor who can assess the condition of your roof and give you an honest assessment.
5 Signs You Need a New Roof
There are a number of signs that can indicate that you need a new roof. Here are some of the most common ones:
- Leaks – If you notice water leaking into your home, it’s likely that your roof is damaged and needs to be replaced.
- Damaged or missing shingles – If shingles are missing or damaged, it can leave your roof vulnerable to water damage and leaks.
- Age – As mentioned earlier, most roofs last around 20 years, so if your roof is older than that, it may be time for a replacement.
- Rotting wood – If you see any signs of rotting wood on your roof, it’s a sign that there is damage and it needs to be fixed immediately.
- Moss or algae growth – If there is moss or algae growth on your roof, it means that the surface is wetter than usual and may lead to leaks or other problems.
If you’re noticing any of these signs, it’s definitely time to consider getting a new roof. Contact a professional contractor for an assessment to find out what steps need to be taken to replace your roof.
How to Choose the Right Roofing Contractor
When it comes to replacing your roof, it’s important to choose a contractor you can trust. Here are a few tips on how to find the right one:
- Ask around – Talk to friends and family members who have had their roofs replaced in the past and ask for recommendations.
- Get estimates from multiple contractors – Don’t just choose the first contractor who comes along. Get estimates from several different contractors to find the best price.
- Check references – Be sure to check the references of any contractor you’re considering hiring. Ask them about the quality of the work, the timeline and whether they were happy with the final product.
- Look for experience – It’s important to choose a contractor who has a lot of experience replacing roofs. They’ll be more likely to do a good job and they’ll know how to avoid any potential problems.
- Read reviews – online reviews can be a great way to get a sense of what other people have experienced with a particular contractor.
Once you’ve selected a few contractors, it’s important to interview them before making a decision. Ask them about their experience, their pricing and what type of roof they would recommend for your home. Make sure you get written estimates from each contractor before making a final decision.
What to Expect During Roof Replacement Process
Replacing your roof can be a big project, so it’s important to know what to expect during the process. Here are some general guidelines:
- The crew will arrive at your home early in the morning and begin working immediately.
- There will be a lot of noise and activity as the crew works on removing the old roofing material and installing the new roofing material.
- You may need to temporarily relocate while the work is being done – The crew will do their best to minimize disruptions, but you may need to stay elsewhere in your home or leave completely while they’re working.
- There will be debris everywhere – After the job is completed, there will likely be piles of broken shingles and other debris left behind from the replacement process. Be sure to keep children and pets away from this area until it’s cleaned up completely.
- It will take several days for the crew to finish the job – Depending on the size of your roof, it can take anywhere from one day to several days for the crew to complete the job.
How to care for your new roof
After you have a new roof installed, it’s important to take care of it so it lasts as long as possible. Here are a few tips on how to care for your new roof:
- Keep the area around your roof clear – Make sure there is no debris or clutter in the area surrounding your roof. This will help avoid any potential damage.
- Clean your roof regularly – You can clean your roof by using a garden hose and a bucket of soapy water. Be sure to wear safety gear, such as goggles and gloves, when doing this.
- Avoid walking on your roof – Walking on your roof can damage the shingles and shorten the life of your roof.
- Inspect your roof regularly – Look for signs of damage or wear and tear and contact a professional if you find anything wrong.
Replacing your roof can be a big project, but it’s important to do it the right way. By following these tips, you can make sure that your new roof lasts for many years to come!
Your Local Missouri Roof Replacement Professionals
American Brothers Construction, LLC offers affordable, worry-free roof replacement or repair. American Brothers is a Bolivar Missouri-based company that specializes in providing cost-effective, worry-free roof repair and replacement services. Call (417) 808-0638 now to learn more about our solutions or to book a free consultation.